Friday, August 22, 2014

Knowing the people I'd like to work with

The favorite part of my summer experience at Argo is the people I met. Their down-to-earth yet ambitious, outside-the-box mindset continue to inspire me.


Take one of our several lunch meetings, for instance. During our walk through SoHo, they would debate the merits or problems of existing insurance products merely for fun and for pure, intellectual discussion. Where will the big business of the future be in insurance, and why? How can insurance products be modified to prepare for a new influx of coverages stemming from modern issues? As opposed to bragging about the huge deal or client they were working on, I loved how my colleagues were genuinely interested in such discussions for their own enrichment.

Moreover, they showed me how important the people are to me wherever I eventually work. I may end up spending every day and all day with my colleagues - we might grab meals together, visit Starbucks together during break, potentially work weekends together, and maybe some days wind down after work together. The people I worked with this summer collectively demonstrated an environment not dissimilar to one I’d like to be in.

After my last day, I ended up visiting the office a couple times afterwards to say hi to the team and discuss non-work related items. One of them even chatted about mobile app ideas over lunch with me, with others pitching in what they’d like to see. I realize that these post-work visits really say something in terms of the kind of people I look up to, and I hope to keep in touch with them for a long time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment